So, I am starting to get feedback on The Worms Of Heaven, and so far it seems that about half of the notes involve leaving words out and the other half involve having extra words that don’t fit. So, on average, I am using the right number of words.
Probably over the weekend I’m going to start going over the notes and making corrections. I really can’t thank those of you who have taken the time to point out my goofy-assed errors enough. I’m thinking that I’ll be ready to launch by the first or second week of September.
I’m considering trying out the “Pre-Order” button and seeing how it works. Right now it seems too complicated. Maybe after a couple of glasses of wine.
I have started on the next book, Gingerbread Wolves. As usual, I have a vague idea of the main thrust of the plot and a bunch of different “bits” that I am going to try to fit in. I’ll be adding at least one new semi-human type to the Book Of Lost Doors bestiary, I know, and a couple of fun new ways for my characters to do inappropriate things to the naughty bits of the laws of physics.
Oddly enough, I don’t really have a clear idea of the monster of the week yet. I know that my antagonist is going to be big and scary–Lovecraftian Elder God type. I need a hook, though, something to make it something more than your basic Haustur knockoff. I think I’ll reread some of my Cthulhu Mythos–particularly “The Hounds Of Tinaldos” and “The Space Eater”–those stories scared the crap out of me.
I have been doing a lot of thinking about what to write, and I have tried several projects, but I keep coming back to James & Catskinner. Given some of the things that I am planning for Gingerbread Wolves, I’m going to have to write at least one more after that.
My day job has been insane all summer long. I am hoping that things will slow down a little now that the school year has begun again.
Okay, back to work.